One of the first things entrepreneurs and bloggers should do after creating a Pinterest business account is to claim their website on Pinterest. After you claim your website, a little checkmark will appear next to your website’s URL on the profile, and pinners will be able to access your website directly from your Pinterest account.
THE BENEFITS OF CLAIMING YOUR WEBSITE ON PINTEREST
By claiming your website, you’ll get access to Pinterest analytics, so you’ll be able to see how your pins (the ones you and other people saved) are performing.
Wondering why this is important? Because having access to analytics means getting insights into what’s working and what’s not, which should be the no. 1 thing to consider when creating new website content or fresh pins!
Besides that, your profile picture will appear next to all of your pins.
And if these reasons don’t seem enough, there are a few other bonuses (I swear this is not an infomercial!) that come with claiming your website:
- You get access to ads (if you ever decide on promoted pin campaigns)
- A claimed website is a prerequisite for enabling rich pins, another useful Pinterest feature that adds additional info to your pins
- You can add the Pin-it button to your images on the website so that visitors can pin directly from your website
HOW TO CLAIM YOUR WEBSITE ON PINTEREST ( WordPress)
Claiming your WordPress website on Pinterest is relatively easy, and it should take you only a few minutes. And I assure you – no need to freak out even if you’re not tech-savvy and think that web coding is rocket science. *sheepishly raises her hand*
While this blog post is focused on WordPress websites, adding HTML tags to other websites (Squarespace, Big Cartel, Wix, etc.) is similar. Here is the list with instructions for other websites.
Here’s how to claim your WordPress website on Pinterest in 5 easy steps:
STEP 1: Go to your Pinterest account. Under Settings, you’ll find section Claim. Enter your website URL and click claim.
Psst, besides claiming your website on Pinterest, you can also claim your Instagram and YouTube accounts AND Etsy store! This can be quickly done under Profile Settings by clicking the shiny red button Claim. You can also install a free Pinterest app to your Shopify account.
STEP 2: Next, a window will pop up and ask you to choose how you want to claim your website. Copy the text in the first option (Add an HTML tag).
STEP 3: You should now add this tag to the <head> section of your website (If you’re freaking out right now – I did too until I realized it’s super simple).
There are several ways to do this, but I’d like to share with you the two easiest ones (Why complicate life if it’s not necessary, right?! 😊) – by using Yoast SEO or Headers and Footers plugin. In both cases, you should log in to your website first.
Using Yoast SEO Plugin
- If you haven’t yet, install the Yoast SEO plugin. Once installed, head to the “Social” Tab.
- Under the Facebook tab, make sure that “Open Graph Settings” is enabled
- Under the “Pinterest” tab, there is a space (“Pinterest Confirmation”) – paste the copied tag there
Using Insert Headers and Footers Plugin
- If you haven’t yet, download and activate the Insert Headers and Footers Plugin.
- Go to Settings à Insert Headers and Footers and paste the tag into the “Scripts in Header” Section. If you have any other tags (i.e., Google Analytics tag) already there, paste the tag into the next empty line.
STEP 4: Make sure to save changes in WordPress. Once you’re done, head back to Pinterest and click Continue. A new window that is labeled Verify will appear.
STEP 5: Enter your website and click the button Verify.
That’s it, you’re done!
It is supposed to take up to 24 hours for Pinterest to verify your website, but in my experience, this is completed in a couple of minutes. When verifying is completed, you’ll notice a tick next to your website URL on your Pinterest profile.
Was this useful?
If you have any more questions or if this feels overwhelming, I’m here for you! I can completely set up your account to create a strong base for growth and help you create the best Pinterest strategy approach for your account.